Thursday, April 12, 2012

GS400 Brake Master Cylinder - Strip Down. Part 1

Is it salvageable?
More to the point, would you want to? 
The elements have infiltrated every visible component and it looks ready for the bin, but these are my favourite type of projects. Too simple to just throw it away, so can life be breathed through this part once more? I'll give it a whirl.


Time for WD40, heat, hot water - might even break the hammer out!




Brake lever pivot bolt actually came out easy. It's a start.


The reservoir looks rotted! I feel like an archeologist using a soft brush to avoid causing any more damage. 
Will it hold up? Well at least it's only brakes - you wouldn't want to risk it if it was safety related.


Rusted screws, what are the chances? It doesn't look promising, but I was wrong, they came out a treat!


Not sure I'll be able to get the brake light switch screws out though, I think they've well and truly had it! Let's hit the sink for a wash.


Reservoir came out well and doesn't look too bad considering. The master cylinder is going to take a little more work. I love this sort of work, let's just hope the cylinder isn't knackered and it all works with a new seal kit.

More soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment