Sunday, February 12, 2017

Lakeside 21/1/2017 — A Track Made For Fun... And 600's.

Boys, boys, boys...
Why do we hype everything up? What's with the banter? The underhand tactic of knocking self-confidence?

As long as there's been racing, riders have been looking over at someone's front wheel, looking up at their opponent and tutting. Anything to put an air of doubt into someone's mind and gain an advantage. And, depending on the mental strength of the other person, it's worked more than once.

But I was looking forward to this day for more than one reason. It was a chance to play with the 600RR on a track that was almost designed for it. Sharp, off-camber corners make big power a pain in the 'arris. The little Honda should be in its element. Easy to turn, easy to stop, and easy to get on the power.



The heatwave continues in Queensland and today will be tough. I'm taking my old leathers because the sweat is going to be pouring.




Nice new T-shirt, but he was shaking so much with fear that he spilt his flat white all down it. He is now employing a cheating tactic known as "taping up the brake light so your rivals have no idea when you're braking". 

It is, of course, absolutely no use whatsoever if he's always behind.


Yeah nice job Tonto. Do what you need to do. 

I will still say, that GSXR750 is an absolutely perfect bike. Just don't tell Bryan.


Glad I got this picture of him smiling before the sessions started. He didn't smile again today... well not until I bought beers.


Using my old peppered Arai today. Don't want my new one getting soaked in sweat. The two blue dots must mean I'm special. Very special.


 I'd drunk a bottle of water before we even got out for our first session. It's so hot today the tyre warmers are actually bringing the temperatures down!


Remember sparky sliders? Not much Titanium left now though, and I ended up losing one of these, much to my surprise when I started rubbing the Velcro on my leathers!


Bryan spent a lot of time in here today. Fear does strange things to you.


And that's the reason why. 


Looking for tips on Google. Seat time is what you need buddy. 



But what about action shots?
Our main man, and all-round top fella, Will Course was on hand to take some brilliant action pics. If you were at Lakeside on the 21/1/2017, your pics could be right here so give him a big shout out at William Course Photography


















It was hot, but absolutely ace!
Well that's about it. A lot of crashes today stopped a few of our sessions but the little Honda was just amazing. It's so much more fun on a 600 here compared to QR and really comes into its own.

Exiting the bus stop used to be a handful on the big Gixer thou, but now you just wring the neck of this thing and it goes where you want it without lifting the front. Overtaking used to be scary on the big bike trying to get it pulled up for the corners, this thing is easy. I'm happy!

The 750 couldn't really cope with the might of the 600 today. I think it was too hot for the Aussie. Obviously going up against a Welshman is always going to be hard but, being used to the heat, I thought he may've had an advantage. There's always next time though. 
As for the Harle... KTM, I stayed clear. The vibrations upset my equilibrium and the flames out the exhaust threaten to melt my fairings!

So, until next time, when I hope to bring back a little more of the mechanical workings of... something, the last pic is Bridgey's. Not bad for an iPhone buddy.







1 comment: