Friday, March 30, 2018

Suzuki GS400 - Another Bike Project.

I've been busy... with wood. And I'm not a very accomplished woodworker. Prefer metal, but I wanted to create something out of junk. Pallets in this case. They'd been sat outside where I work for awhile, and were going to be broken up, so why not?





















Pulling them apart was harder than i imagined. They were years old and the wood was splitting rather than nails pulling out smoothly. But we got there in the end. 😊












And yes, because I'm a Suzuki fan, I had to make it look like it was one of their boxes. 

Honest guv'nor, the first GS750 came in this box.


And with a splash of some sort of clear oil, it was ready to rock. And I like it.

But this isn't Woodwork Weekly, this is Biketech7. 

Somebody gave me oodles of inspiration lately, so I dragged the old GS400 project out (circa 2012) and dropped the engine into the frame.

The carbs were gummed up solid, I bought the engine seven years ago not knowing if it ran or no (I like those odds), and whipped them off. The evaporated fuel had welded the slides tight, so they took a bit of convincing and eventually came out with diaphragms in top fettle.

I dropped out the old oil first and cleaned inside the filter housing. Put it back together and refilled with some 20/50 I had hanging round. Before I even contemplated another project, I needed to know the engine was a good 'un. 


The butterflies are also seized solid. Modern petrols? Who knows. 



And with various bracketry disconnected, we had two separate carbs. Take pics, its easier when they go back together.


Gummed up, but every single screw and jet was a fresh as when it left the factory. You don't see that on the four-cylinder models! Normally they've been set at with hammers, chisels and jackhammers. These were an absolute pleasure old boy.


When you go to remove the float bowls, give them a tap with a screwdriver handle to free them up first. The gasket will usually stay intact, but you might have to work round with a screwdriver to stop it being torn. If they don't drop off easily, see where they're stuck — don't just pull them off and break the gasket.


The drain was thick with gunk. 


The carburettor cleaner is awesome on the gummy stuff, but to clean the outer bodies I always use Jif and a toothbrush in the sink. Maybe a quick hit with Autosol too.



The needles, jets and bits just needed some love. 



With all the internal fuel and airways washed and blown out, the float height could be checked and this one can go back together.


Spot on, they just needed a really good clean.



Once reassembled, they were chucked back in their inlet rubbers with a bit of vaseline. A makeshift petrol tank hung perilously from the ceiling, a 12v feed to the coil wires and a battery was attached. 

With choke applied, we began the countdown, sparks flew from jump leads making contact with starter motor cables... and boom!



No comments:

Post a Comment