Thursday, March 11, 2021

Suzuki GS Series — Starter Clutch Rattles

The final check?

As anyone who has followed this blog will know, the engine out of the GS550E has been stripped completely. And, obviously, this was the ideal time to do a simple check on the starter clutch. And I full intended to, had I had the correct flywheel puller. A simple M14 x 1.5mm bolt is all it needs...

But no!

I'd already bought a pretty extensive universal puller/slide hammer with all sorts of adaptors, but none of them being a basic M14 x 1.5mm bolt. Anyway, I ignored it, and refitted the crank with flywheel still attached, not realising what could happen behind the flywheel.

And there it is, flywheel/rotor with starter clutch and gear bolted up behind it.


I've been riding the little GS around whenever I can, but odd rattles have been niggling me. The more you get used to the bike, the more you seem to find. After sorting the clutch, there was still something there so I popped into MXStore in Burleigh to pick up a flywheel puller.

I took off the alternator cover and had a look at the three bolts that held the starter clutch to the back of the flywheel. When moving the clutch, you could actually see the threads of the bolts moving in the flywheel itself! Problem found.


They can't actually unwind all the way because the heads go up against the starter gear, but everything they are attached to is wearing once they come loose.


Due to the fact that the old bolts were worn, I cut three new ones. The starter clutch itself is in great condition, with no obvious wear.

With the flywheel cleaned off in brake clean to remove all oil, Loctite was applied to the threads and everything bolted back up. 


I paint marked the end of the bolts so it's easy to see if they start coming loose without removing the flywheel etc.


And with that, the gasket was cleaned and more sealant applied. The cover was refitted and start sequence initiated. And we had takeoff. No more noises from the starter clutch, and test ride imminent.


More soon folks...

No comments:

Post a Comment