Sunday, August 28, 2022

Classic Brit Bike Road Test Fest!

Biketech7 - Back to the UK for a Roadtest of the Past.

What can I say about the latest road test? It's been a while, but this was pretty unique. To ride old faithful was gift enough after all this time. Sat for the last seven years with oil in its petrol tank (thanks dad), the '54 A10 astonished me. Still a first-kick starter, petrol tap on, a quick tickle and it was running. Effortless, except for the hefty heave on the kickstart, I couldn't have been happier. But to get out on the other two bikes too, outstanding!

Devauden.


Early evening in Tintern.


The next bike to get an airing was the '59 T110, pretty much an original bike, and another easy starter as long as you remembered the retard lever. I was rusty. I forgot. Still, the old Triumph is a true gentleman, or lady, and was perfect once up and running. Certainly more oomph from the Trumpet, and the front brake was a hell of a lot stronger, but annoying play in the head bearings became a pain when upping the pace. More on that later.


A T110 in the sun.

Finally, the T150V had a stretch of legs. The clutches on these babies are a real workout - shouldn't diaphragm clutches be operated by foot? This is a 1974 model, and another completely original bike, bar for the Raygun silencers. Extremely easy to start, though I'll never get used to that kickstart folding up under you once you've gone through a full swing. However, this bike now idles nicely when warm and the clutch is sorted well enough to select neutral when running. Quite a novelty on one of these.

The T150 looking amazing!

The venue.

For those who haven't travelled through the Wye Valley, the Forest of Dean and Monmouthshire, you've missed out. This is true beauty. From fast A-roads, completely closed in above with trees and foliage, to the tiniest of lanes, overgrown hedges where wildlife is being allowed to prosper without human intervention. Funny how our intervention often ruins, rather than improves, what's around us. But being as I'm rattling around the countryside via an internal combustion engine, I'll get off my high horse.

I miss these roads, the 20mph speed limit they've introduced in some villages is horrific though. With vehicles being far safer than ever now, is a drop in speed really necessary? But riding the Wye Valley again has just taken me back to the most amazing days. From days riding an old Suzuki GS850G, through to Hayabusas and GSXR1000's, it was always fun down through here. I was definitely home again.

The bikes.

Old Faithful - BSA A10 Gold Flash

I've owned this bike for thirty years, and she's a little diamond. I haven't ridden a Brit bike for seven years, and yet the righthand gear change still felt natural - I wondered if I would find that strange after all that time. I guess it must be like riding a bike. Anyway...

To give a little history, my old BSA used to be used for everything when I was younger, out most nights with the 6v Lucas electrics, and riding in rain, snow and ice. I loved this thing. It was towed twice by a car, once when the clutch fell off just after I bought it (seventeen miles behind a Discovery), the second time when the fibre gear for the mag sheared its teeth.

From back in the days of getting an SRM oil feed conversion, Spitfire cam, larger valves and carb, it used to be thrashed relentlessly (I was young). Riding it now and I can certainly see the advantages in leaving in smaller valves and carb, and probably better performance. The A10 is somewhat gutless at low revs as a result but feels so chilled cruising at 60mph through the valley.

Dad had already fitted one of his old T110 batteries onto the BSA for me prior to arrival. The oil in the petrol tank was drained, flushed and some extremely expensive E5 put in. Fuel has gone up everywhere but we still pay a hell of a lot less in Australia. He cleaned the carb, and also tried a variety of ways to cure the obligatory oil leaks from the chain case. Now with a state-of-the-art Weetabix box gasket in place, it still leaks. But at least my rear chain is never dry.

It doesn't have a centre stand fitted and Dad has been struggling to kick it over unless the footrest is propped with blocks, but as long as you're firm with it, it starts easily.

The first trip out saw me heading for Chepstow, turning up to Devauden and then over to Trellech. This takes in a nice variety of roads, which are so quiet it's hard to believe anyone uses them at all now. The BSA loves most of this work but really struggled with Tintern's 20mph limit. Too slow for third, too fast for second and it sounded like I was struggling to ride the thing.

But you know what? The ability to ride around issues and make the best of a situation is what it's all about. You can jump on a new bike and it's hard to find a fault with any aspect - maybe that is the fault. You are much more a part of the process here, constantly adapting to the foibles of an old machine. I like that... a lot.

Back down the lanes to Llandogo and I'm in heaven. There is no one around. It is just sheer beauty through woodland all the way down to the tiny lane that drops you down into the village. Her idle has become a little erratic now, but a few blips of throttle to clear her throat, back onto the A466 and she's back in business.

What can I say? I love this bike. It's everything I remember. The front brake isn't superb but used with the footbrake, plus the wonderful engine braking, she does alright.

Did it break down? One morning in the second week, my daughter jumped on the back (this holiday was both kids' first time riding pillion) and we rode about 1/4 of a mile before the gear lever went limp. But no, it didn't break down. I turned around and was still able to select gears as long as I moved the lever to the correct position in beteween changes. A quick inspection revealed that the spring behind the lever had finally given way after what could possibly be seventy-odd years. That's not bad at all. I got on the blower to C & D Autos and ordered a new spring and two new dowels for the gearbox cover. Ten quid including postage, arrived the next day. Those guys are absolutely amazing. I always used them in the nineties, and their service still blows me away. 

If you need BSA parts, give them a bell on 01564 795000. 😎

Triumph T110 of a '59 vintage.

This bike is about as original as it sensibly gets. Even the footrest and kickstart rubbers are original and still in really good condition, the modern ones don't seem to last very long at all. We did check the sludge trap years ago, and it was clean. It looks and goes superbly. She certainly has some get-up and go and would leave the A10 for dust off the line. That's not really what it's all about on these though. And what the BSA lacks in absolute power, it more than makes up for it in the chassis department. I've never actually ridden something with a featherbed frame, so I can't comment on how that compares to the BSA's, but the old A10 is stiff where the Triumphs feel flexible. I can only put that down to the swingarm mounting, a pin going through both sides of the frame is a far better idea than a single-point pivot in the centre of the frame.

I noticed the ground clearance was somewhat lacking too but could easily be improved with more preload on the shocks. Having the original, genuine ammeter makes all the difference too, it points exactly where it should, not the constant swinging around like a modern replacement. Once the BSA is up to speed, it’s often anyone’s guess what’s going on with the charging system.

With my daughter on the back of the T110 (she was jumping on whenever possible by now), we took a blast to Redbrook and on up to Coleford. I love these lanes, quiet and chilled. Then we took the run down to Staunton and one of my favourite roads. It’s all downhill now with plenty of corners, and that’s where the steering head bearings really started to shake. There could be some play in the forks themselves, but it certainly feels like bearings. More annoying than anything, but maybe time for new races (dad has already changed the ball bearings at some point). When comparing bikes, the BSA has taper rollers fitted and is perfect in that department.

Still fitted with original pipes and silencers, this bike sounds amazing. It's a shame that the modern stuff just never seems to sound the same. The seat is hard, as expected for a sixty-three-year-old bike, but what about the history? 

We made good time down the Staunton Road and soon caught up with traffic which slowed the pace somewhat, so I decided to drop into my brothers for a brew. Another first-kick starter, hot or cold, it really boosts confidence in the old twins when they fire up easily. Having had magneto problems in the past, it's a pleasure when they're working as intended! I have to be fair, neither of his Triumphs drops any oil either.

The '74 T150V Triumph Trident.

She’s a big, heavy old girl, but with one of the sweetest engines around. Everything about that engine feels tight and new, and I guess it ought to as it’s a low mileage, original bike. Dad has spent hours getting that single disc clutch working like it does, and now you can select neutral when it’s hot and running... but it’s still heavy on the hands.

Starting it is oh so easy, tickle the outer two carbs, choke on and swing the kickstart through its stroke. As it gets to the bottom of its swing, it folds back in, and you basically lose the kickstart again. I’m not a fan. But with the Lucas Rita ignition, it fires up easily. This bike has had new carbs years ago to try and sort intermittent idling, but it turned out to be a dodgy coil causing grief. In fairness, it runs really well. All three bikes will sit there and idle nicely.

Pulling away on the Trident is the best bit. The noise from idle to around three grand is different to anything else I’ve ridden. There's almost a purr and turbine-like sound while it is under load. I feel she soon runs out of breath, with not much more go above 70mph in fifth, though maybe it needs to be revved harder in the other gears. I'm used to four-cylinder bikes thriving on revs, so not keen to thrash this old girl for no reason as I’m just out to cruise. 

Once you're pressing on through the bends, she does tend to start feeling flexible, just like the twin does. Not that you're likely to launch over the nearest hedge, but it makes you wary. This engine in a lighter, stiffer package would be nice... and quick! I want a Tribsa! A10 frame, Trident engine with lightened clutch and flywheel, and maybe a set of Mikuni's. 

Anyway, back to it. I did balance the front wheel in between rides as it was getting a bit of a shake on at speed, and also rebuilt the front caliper with new seals as it needed a cleanup inside. This helped the feel at the lever too as the seals were pulling the pistons back a long way every time you let off the brake. More on that later...

Conclusion.

Of course, there is no conclusion, they are each amazing on their own merits. 

The two twins are pretty similar, the Triumph the big performer, the BSA the better handler. Downhill, with plenty of bends, I'd take the BSA out of the three all day long. For a cruise, with hills up and down, the Triumphs would have had the edge here. 

For me it was just good getting back out there. I honestly couldn't care less about what was more fun, they all have their own attributes, just being able to ride around here on some cracking old bikes was just amazing. It's days like this that make us realise how lucky we are. So, so lucky...




No comments:

Post a Comment