Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Yamaha FZ750 Restoration - Suspenders and Fast Rides.

Cracking blast today!

I'll digress at the start of the blog today. I'm having a great day! We all met up early for a fastish blast this morning and the 2002 R1 got to pit itself against a much-too-loud 2014 S1000RR (running 196BHP at the wheel). We also had a ZX14R, Diavel, CBR600RR, CBF13000, and an MT-07. She, the R1, limped home on three cylinders in the end but really did herself proud. 


Before even looking at anything regarding diagnosis, code 33 was showing on the dash - Open circuit in the primary circuit of ignition coils. Seat off first to check the battery and obvious items, only to find the multi-plug to the ECU was not fully home (the previous owner has snapped off the clasp that locks it in place). Once pushed back in, the problem was solved. Cannot fault it. 

In more news, the Ducati Diavel blew a head gasket on the way to Rathdowney and was dropping coolant out the side... and Bridgey ran out of fuel on his way home early on (didn't go on the main ride). Nowhere in the world has anyone run out of fuel as much as this guy. Three times on a bike, with me, just near Canungra. Thirteen times in his Gemini as a youngster. Several times in a company car when he doesn't even have to pay for fuel! Anyway, back to the FZ...

Finishing the rear suspension.

Bearing in mind that I'm reusing all swingarm and linkage bearings, as they're all in good fettle, I was happy to get the back end all back together. I also added a couple of grease nipples to the lower link and the swingarm itself. With everything fitted, there is no play whatsoever and I'm happy I can now grease some of those bearings whenever I service the bike. 

Quickly mounted to check the angle needed to be able to get the grease gun hose up to the swingarm. There's a hole in the linkage above which allows access and that will ding dang do for me.


Now let's have a look at getting the centre stand back in, it'll be so helpful during the rebuild. But the nuts, bolts and spring were rustier than Red Rum's shoes. 


But with some wire brush action, etched in acid and dunked in my homemade nickel plating jar, they started to look a bit better.


The bolts should be fine, I'm not so sure about the spring. It looks fine but not sure if the integrity is compromised. Anyway, for now it will keep the stand in place.


So the rear suspension is sorted, at least until I get the rest of it back together.


The main parts of the swingarm will be finished off with Scotch pad to give a brushed finish.


Next come the forks because my stanchions are done!



No comments:

Post a Comment