Monday, June 22, 2020

GS673 Conversion — Cleaning The Crankcases and Painting Engine.

The 673 kit.
The next step for the GS550 is to relieve the crankcases slightly so that the bigger diameter liners will fit inside. I'd just ordered a new Dremel as my old Draper version was getting a bit tired. That thing has been amazing and I've had it almost twenty years — it's done lots of porting and polishing. Anyway, i was in the process of grinding out some of the casing when the Draper tool finally gave up and spat chunks of plastic out the side. The Dremel came just in time!

If you're wondering about the quality of the deburring tools, sandpaper barrels etc., the Dremel ones are superb! I've always bought the cheaper versions and they wear out in seconds, The Dremel ones are worth the extra cost. 

But on with the job. 
I found it easier to slip the cylinders over the studs, turn the case upside down and mark where the liners were touching. Then remove the cylinders and start grinding. Bit by bit, they went lower and lower.

It doesn't take long to gain enough clearance, and a Dremel is pretty much essential. All I used was the small sanding drums, and they leave a reasonable finish.


Then came the clean up, obviously essential to remove all dirt and aluminium filings. I used a water-washable, heavy-duty degreaser and then the hose. Came up pretty well. 



Forty years of road grime underneath, but perseverance with toothbrushes, wire brushes, drills and wet & dry paper had it looking pretty damn ordinary in no time.


I shoved it in the dishwasher after this on the hottest cycle and, I guess, it's clean. I would've liked it to be bright, shiny aluminium before painting, but we'll see how it comes out with a lick of paint.

First comes the masking up. Sat it in the sun to warm up a little.


I'm trying out the VHT high temperature paint, and using their primer first to get the best results. I hope it's good stuff!



In fairness, it looks great, I seriously hope it lasts. Personal choice is PJ1 paint, always found that stuff to be brilliant, but haven't seen it in Oz.



Considering how they all looked beforehand, I'm really impressed. Please be heat resistant!


Now they get to sit seven days for the "curing" process to occur, which is fine because now I am waiting on gaskets and seals etc.


The old head, barrels and rocker cover on this engine were roughy painted in matt black before. I could've happily gone with gloss black barrels, but not the mess they were in. Finally the engine should look nice and somewhere near original. 

Certainly in need of a nicer exhaust now. It never stops huh?


My next job is to inspect all internal components. The camchain guides are completely worn out and breaking up! Luckily the front one came with the 650 top-end, and I was able to get a good secondhand rear one from the states. 

The crank seems to be good, all bearings are smooth and within spec. The gear shaft bearings are pretty good too. For forty years-old, the old GS seems to be doing well.


No comments:

Post a Comment